Gender in Development Department
The Gender in Development Department is responsible for coordinating, monitoring and evaluating the implementation of the National Gender Policy in order to facilitate gender responsive development. In addition, the Directorate is responsible for mainstreaming gender in all line ministries, Service Commissions, the Judiciary, State House, the National Assembly, Cabinet Office, Office of the President (SD), Public Service Management Division; Office of the Auditor General and Local Authorities.
The Government is in the process of developing a Climate Change Gender Access Plan. The objective of the ccGAP in Zambia will ensure that Zambia’s climate change processes mainstream gender considerations to guarantee that women and men can have access to, participate in, and benefit equally from climate change initiatives. The ccGAP will facilitate the Zambian government to take action on women’s leadership in the context of climate change. Without such an action plan in place, Zambia’s climate change-related policies, programmes and planning are likely to be gender-blind. Additional, the ccGAP for Zambia will create coherence and stimulate cooperation between different government between different government departments and stakeholders dealing with gender and climate change.
The department is mainly responsible for the following objectives in the Strategic Plan 2013 – 2016:
Objective 1: To coordinate gender mainstreaming into National and Sectoral policies in order to facilitate gender responsive development.
Objective 6: To develop and implement economic empowerment programmes in order to enhance effective participation of men and women in economic activities.
The core functions of the department are outlined below;
- Formulate and review existing policies and National Action Plans from a gender perspective;
- Facilitate the formulation and review existing national legislation in order to ensure gender responsiveness;
- Coordinate the implementation of the National Gender Policy;
- Ensure domestication of regional and international legal instruments and provide periodic report;
- Mainstreaming gender issues in all sectors;
- Facilitate capacity building for gender for mainstreaming in the country;
- Coordinate and mobilize resources for implementation of gender equity and empowerment programmes;
- Undertake advocacy programmes to mainstream gender into social-cultural issues; an
- Promote and Monitor adherence to increasing women’s participation in decision making.